peters township high school graduation 2021 » ruger precision rifle 308 effective range

ruger precision rifle 308 effective range

• por

Length of Pull: 12" - 15.50". I still try to shoot with iron sights to keep my consistency intact. Suggested Retail$1929.00. Many of Ms. Weiss shots have been made off-hand with her Anschuetz .22LR rifle. Something definitely is wrong with this Gen 2 RPR in 308, but it appears Im not alone in my frustration. Good rant. as an accessory then anything from intermediate to long eye relief scout scopes could be mounted. Weight is your friend with target rifles. The AR-10 is also a much heavier rifle and ammo package. More importantly, 6.5 long-range rifle is hands down an easier bullet to shoot in the wind. My Winchester 52B has a barrel length of 28 inches. The 6.5 creedmoor were factory rounds. I dont do much reloading these days, because I simply dont have the time. It takes every bit of 500 yards to for the Creedmore to catch up with the .308 energy wise, but theres two ways to look at that. I dont want to distract from my harrumphing here to detail why you cannot hand-lap a barrel thats already chambered and fit to length, but I shall if people are really curious. c/o P.O. First of all, this is a bolt-action rifle that is is not designed to be a hunting rifle. From their Black Hills Gold (hunting ammo) I had their 18-gr Barnes TSX, 168-gr Sierra TMK and their 175 grain Sierra TMK loads. Tyler Kee is a small town kid trying to make it in the big city of Austin, Texas. Ive owned more than a few bolt-action hunting rifles, in various calibers, that could keep my three round groups right at an inch at 100 yards. RPRNation.com has a nice list of upgrades and parts for this rifle. Were in the middle of trying to fight a New-Zealand style ban right now. We shot some anyway, just to see how far off they would be. If you can not find RL22, get these powers in this order: IMR 4831, Norma MRP, or H4350. That shorter handguard never seemed to affect my shooting from bags, the bench, or off a bipod. At 100 yards, no. Firelapping will require that you load up the abrasive bullets with starting loads for the .308, and follow the instructions. Im glad I bought it! Gun Review: Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 WIN. I have not yet loaded custom rounds for the Ruger Precision Rifle to see if it can be tightened up; However, the .308 win has been around a while and there is no doubt that a rifle marketed to be precision should shoot 1.5 MOA or better. I have become a big fan of nitrided barrels from Criterion, a spinoff of Krieger. The evaluation gun provided by All youre sacrificing by going to a shorter barrel is a loss of velocity. You can read the balance of the specs on the Ruger web site, however, needless to say, the rifle offers a lot of goodies for what it is. When Nick wrote that review, he said street price was $650. The barrel length on a competition .22, which has to be shot standing off-hand (as well as sitting, kneeling and prone) is over 24 inches. LRP-07, KAC SR25, LaRue OBR, Les Baer The barrel is 110 twist which I found shoots consistent groups with Fed 168 grain Open Tip Match ammo which performed well as did the Fed 175 grain Gold Match. I gave the 6.5 a four-star rating that was much more like a 4.8. I also had one volunteer shooter with me, and we shot over a period of three days, and put more than 150 rounds down range. If you are looking for a good 308 rifle for long-range shooting, there are many great options to choose from. Makes me consider competition. Web.308 Win with 1:10 RH twist, 20 in (51 cm) barrel, weighing 9.8 lb (4.4 kg) [3] 6mm Creedmoor with a 1:7.7 RH twist, 24 in (61 cm) barrel, weighing 10.8 lb (4.9 kg) [4] provide better sights to aim more effectively out to longer ranges. Well, TTAG has had the very capable and adorable Ms. Kirsten Joy Weiss on these pages, doing all manner of trick shots that require shooting with accuracy. Even with a worn throat, it will do sub MOA. If you wish to lap out rough spots in a barrel after it has been cut and chambered, theres really only one way to do it that thats fire-lapping. Im sure this will ruffle a lot of feathers, but here goes: Just about any rifle and even some scoped handguns can be used as sniper guns. This rifle can be competitive with $3K-$7K rifles with a custom barrel & more rigid handguard for less than $1K more. I agree with TT and Dyspeptic Gunsmith! WRT the RPRs rattling safety selector, Ruger now has a free fix for it a spring that takes about a minute to install and solves the problem. The set-up looks more than a little different than your typical bolt-action hunting rifle, thats for sure. The best group I got out of the RPR in .308 was a .845 MOA group from some 178 gr. Where the .308 seemed to struggle against the 6.5 was consistent accuracy. Two of his other novels have also been best New York Times bestsellers. Thats war. Great observations (rant) on recoil management and other topics. It all makes for an interesting horse race. Medium-contour (.75" at the muzzle) barrel features a Ruger Precision Rifle Hybrid Muzzle Brake to effectively reduce recoil while minimizing noise and blast to the sides of the shooter. Width: 3.30". Ive had it since late June of 2015. My 06 works just fine. Is everybody else lying or is somthing else going on here ? They really shine with 3x the barrel life in a magnum rifle and you also gain some corrosion resistance. BTW, cold bore it shot dead center and 1.5 high with the R700 setup at 100 yards. As noted, the safety was a bit sloppy but worked well. I see them in classes all the time, and they blind instructors and students alike during night shoots. I suppose they served their purpose in hand to hand encounters). is a much better option. You remember that in 2015, Ruger Arms introduced their Ruger Precision Rifle to be a reliable and consistent rifle for long-distance competition shooting. One of the main attractions on the RPR is the folding stock, that is also adjustable for length of pull and comb height. Oversized bolt knob. More than likely, it was sold, when we needed some fast cash, after being newly married. (Believe me, I know I am spoiled). Overall length of the gun is 39.25-inches to 42.75-inches depending on where the adjustable stock is adjusted at. Have yet to see a review on the 308 or 6.5 version of this gun where someone took the time (and money) to try and find a handload that shot 1/2MOA or better in either. Theres plenty of cheap ammo out there thats accurate enough to brush up your skills to the point where you could use match ammo in .308, not so much in 6.5 Creedmore. It took me some time to get the adjustable stock set just the way I wanted it this is a new type of stock to me, and it took some time to get it adjusted perfectly Id fire several shots, and check where the rounds were going, and make adjustments, and shoot again. WebSavage Model 10 BA Stealth 308 Win Bolt Action Rifle with Adjustable Stock (Left Handed Model) $1,207.00 $959.88. target shooting, but with the 20 barrel I dont think Ill ever get there. As Ive mentioned in several of my rifle tests, I have a nice shaded spot at the 465-yard line thats a great place to spend a day testing long-range shooting accuracy. With the same brake, and a bit more weight, shooting a lighter recoiling cartridge, the 6.5 is still the pussycat of the two. Im old school like yourself. I think that gun looks really ugly, but youre opinion may vary. I just think he deserves more credit for what he did to influence the industry. I think a bolt gun shouldnt look like an AR clone, but that is just me. You dont want a short, handy barrel when youre trying to connect at 1000 yards. In the right hands, a 100 year old M96, or the M38 with the 23.8 good barrel can use the same bullets loaded with RL22 power, and will perform just as well, or almost as well, or perhaps better. Most sniping takes place at well under 500-yards. A precision rifle needs to shoot sub MOA, period, and not just some of the time. Cmon Tylerrecoil gripes? Im hoping by the end of summer I will have answered my question as to whether the RPR stays or goes. All shooting was done over a rolled-up sleeping bag, over the bed of my covered pick-up not an ideal set-up, but I didnt want to chance my windshield getting broken from the muzzle blast. Oh, BTW, my first time reading TTAG, I like it. So I would have rather have had a proprietary magazine that allowed hand loading to a proper overall length. Also, I havent seen anyone publish a review on the 308 who shot 168 or 175 Federal Gold Metal Match ammo or BLack Hills Match ammo. gun. Think theyd ever release a 20 SR762 in a configuration like this? As I said, stay tuned; Im working on it. Gun Reviews | Gun Review: Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 Win - The T Its a good thing Bumblebees dont know they cant fly. Before I struggled to get consistently below .5 with factory ammo. $588.49. Box 303 As in almost all things gun-related, barrel length is a topic of fierce debate, but I count myself in the camp that believes you should go with the shortest rifle barrel that will do the job at hand. It's essentially a .308 Winchester, Why dont you ask this young lady how much her Anschuetz weighs? A Savage 10TR (may be only a Canadian offereing) These come from the factory with a threaded, heavy barrel in either 20 or 24. If Im in a situation where I have an issue exiting a vehicle fast with a bolt gun, Ive screwed up, big time, starting a long, long, loooong ways back up a decision chain, starting right around the point where I said Im going to involve myself in something that requires I exit a vehicle quickly with a bolt gun, because it sounds like fun!.. Sold it and got a mossberg MPV LC in 308, much better gun. Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove I was slightly disappointed in the groups but I was a bit rushed and it was cold/windy with well over 15 mph gusts. I havent read prose like that since Ruark, and I miss it greatly. Features: In-line recoil path manages recoil directly from the rear of I wanted to make sure I was giving it my best effort. Both shot better than the 120 and 140 A Max and ELD. Real World Pricing: ~$1,250. My hand loads shoot 5-shot 0.5 MOA groups all day long. I gave it four stars only because I couldnt give it 4.8. The wind conditions on the day I tested the .308 were slightly higher (~5 mph) than the day I tested the 6.5 so Im willing to spot the .308 a little cushion. This gun never seemed to be a laser in my hands. The results of my testing at the 100-yard line are below. Savage has certainly found a home in that market, and theres no reason Ruger cant cash in on it as well. To keep things proportional, Ruger elected to go with a shorter rail from Samson. It is 9 pound rig with about 11 pounds of recoil, and even when it heats up, there is little change in the accuracy, that is right at MOA. If youre in the business of learning how to call the wind, .308 is going to make you do your homework, and Id argue that anyone who can shoot a .308 at any meaningful distance is going to be better at shooting a higher performance chambering like 6.5 Creedmoor if ever called to do so. Barrels should stay good for 10,000 plus rounds, and be might #3 bores at 15,000 rounds. My RPR in 338 Lapua broke after 38 shots of factory ammo. I own both rifles. From the trigger to the patented multi-magazine interface (which functions interchangeably with AICS and M110/SR-25/DPMS/Magpul-style magazines and some M14 magazines) to its compatibility with the AR-15 platform and beyond, I have a really hard time dinging it much. 06s are out now. Specs: Screwing an aggressive brake to the front tamed a lot of this, and going back to the factory stock (that is attached to the AR-style buffer tube, allowing the rifle to accept any aftermarket AR-style stock) did as well. Id go outside and yell at clouds, but today in Wyoming it is a low overcast, so it would be a pointless diatribe on my part in all directions. Ive had my RPR in 308 for about a year now. In a survival situation, we have to look at a lot of different things, before we pull the trigger on someone, who is on our property maybe they are just lost, and pose no real threat to us. Not sure what the tells you but getting sighted in was 2 shots and I was in business. Its all over the place at that range. After 84 years, the throat on my M38 worn, yet still shoots good. But the fact is that nobody in the top 10 of the Precision Rifle Series used a hinged floorplate to feed their rifle, and none of them ran stock bolt knobs, or factory stocks. True that. Theres no inherent difference in the accuracy of a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor other than whats been pointed out about the Creedmoor being a little less prone to wind drift. I already have a great 155 grain load for my AR. Lets hope so I dont know anyone who wants to take another persons life for no good reason. In my mind, the perceived lack of accuracy is offset by just about every other feature of the gun. I no longer have any 6.5 Swedes, but an old man can dream. Targets were set-up at 100 yards, and I did a lot of walking back and forth to check my targets no spotting scope. A shorter sight radius magnifies small sighting errors. all day long. Barrel length is only 20-inches, but you dont need any longer barrel than that. WebDescription. But the big deal with .260 Remington is that is uses necked down .308 cases. Further than that the higher BC of the 6.5 gives it more velocity, flatter trajectory, lower TOF, and less drift. The one thing I didnt care for was the use of so much polymer/plastic on them. I consider myself an average or novice shooter. I would love to have that rifle. It averaged about a .55 MOA with match grade factory ammo for the first 800 rounds through it. Yes, I too love my .30-06.. From prone off the ground with a bipod (Atlas) the RPR shot roughly moa for me with Factory 168g SMK and slightly worse with some Hornady 165g Interlok handloads with Varget that are designed to mimic 165 SGK loads. The barrel wear should not be as much of concern within 500 yard ranges as you only need 1.5 MOA, or so, to be accurate enough. Only mod for the new barrel was a custom cut of the barrel down to 21 3/4 from 22 to achieve the best barrel harmonics. In the world of practical accuracy, sub-2 MOA at 500 yards is still pretty good, it just isnt great. But an F-class Savage doesnt look as tacticool, so it cant be as good. shooter. If they have 4 wheel drive many will never use it. Ill take one in 308 and put the money I save toward a suppressor. You can read it all on the Ruger web site. They sent it back with a 50 yard test target (useless) and called it good. 20rounds of 6.5( highest number per box) is around $20-25. At a certain point, .308 is .308 and bullet weight doesnt matter. Add to Compare. My only complaint is with the magazine/magazine well. Beginners can buy one of these and do the range time they need to gain some measure of proficiency while shooting out the factory barrel. Please support this website by adding us to your whitelist in your ad blocker. $1,039.00 $989.99. Maybe that explains why the 20 .308 will only shot well under 100 yards and the Creedmore with a 24 barrel would stand to reason that it would shoot better and a 26 barrel for a .243? Moyie Springs, Idaho 83845. I shot a similar Remington 700 SPS for a scope review and I found it to be a tack driver. Letter: Advice on Oxygen and Moisture Absorbing Packets, Preparedness Notes for Monday January 6, 2020. Features QD sling-attachment points, a bottom Picatinny rail (for monopods) and soft rubber buttpad, Bolt: Three-lug bolt with 70 throw and dual cocking cams, Finish: Type III Black Hard-Coat Anodized, Barrel: Medium contour, Cold-hammer forged from 4140 chrome-moly steel, 5R rifling. Not all rifles within this range have aluminum bolt shrouds. Actually there are many reasons. Neither is it brush rifle or a truck gun. I would love to see that ar 10 get that kind of accuracy I would never believe it I would have to see it Be there you know what I mean! I get frustrated with the every rifle must be short and light and look as much like an AR as possible crowd. That applies to the .308, too, but there are a couple of minor differences related to barrel and handguard length and weight that justify a second review. SST was the real stand out though, showing very consistent sub-MOA groups. What did matter was hacking off a four-inch section of 4140 and cutting the aluminum handguard back a few inches. I am fully stocked and geared for 308 and was hoping to expand my horizons with the RPR in 6.5 Creedmor. Hodgden lists a load of 46.3 grains of IMR4831 at 2,700 fps at a pressure of 45,400 cup out of a 24 barrel, the length of a Swedish M38 barrel. I use IMR 4895 exclusively in my ARs and intend to stick with it for simplicity and because I have 10lbs. From Black Hills, I had their .308 Winchester 168-gr Match Hollow Point load, and their 175 grain Match Hollow point. 1.5 MOA at 300 yards is around 4.5 inches. Couldnt close the bolt all the way so I couldnt fold stock and remove bolt to trouble shoot it. If youre willing to wait. Keep in mind that I have attended a precision rifle match once in my life. Only for men. Few people are going to compete in F target class with a deer rifle. I will admit, I cant shoot that well all the time. An RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor (review here) and one in .308 WIN . TK, barrel will shoot-in over time, or shoot-out? The next email was to the rest of the crew at TTAG to say, Back off! Four inches may not sound like a lot, but it can mean the world when working off a barrier or out of a truck where that length can mean being able to quickly bring the gun to bear, or having to take a step back to give yourself more room to work. (Speaking of maneuverability, the RPRs magazine-well front is contoured for a positive grip for bracing against shooting supports.). So lets drop it in a Chassis so that it becomes a Wonder Rifle Again, a Canadian Company, MDT offers chassis from that $400 range up to about $1000 depending on the features you want. The two Gen 2 RPR 6 CMs I bought running side by side tests averaged about the same. I chalk this performance gap up to two distinct weaknesses. I wish this Ruger would have recd a better review. I'm hoping for the best with this new RPR. My guess is that the exterior diameter of both barrels are the same. Item Number: 6803. Thats several hundred dollars saved for a gun thats ready to shoot right now. Those hunting handloads are easily moa out of my R-25 and also out of a 16 custom barreled rifle I recently built. Ive got just under 3,000 rounds through it and am paying close attention to groups for any signs of throat erosion. Just be sure to test different ammo varieties, to see what gives you the best accuracy, and I know youll find a load that your Ruger will like. That said, if youre looking to put lead down range accurately, heres a general guideline for matching If a 308 wont shoot those to sub MOA, there is something bad wrong and should go back to the mfr. My current .308 bolt gun is a 13 pound target rifle. Sub-2 MOA accuracy at 500 yards is still fitting five bullets inside the vital zone of anything on four legs that can feed a family of four, and well within the confines of a 10-inch diameter circle. They cut the barrel down with a chop saw so no groups were shot for accuracy but they did measure ES and SD with their chronograph which is a good measure of potential accuracy. A magnification range of 4-12 / 16x or 6-24x is ideal for long-range shooting, Curious how that works out. Hopefully is it just as reliable. If carrying a 15 pound rifle to the range is not an issue it would make sense to have a 26 barrel. The best was copper creek 142 and winchester 140 match. I picked up an RPR .308 from Fin Feather Fur, in Ohio, for $999.99, theyre offering the 6.5 for the same money. Why? SMKs. Alternatively, I spend quite a few days in the fall, winter, and early spring in and out of a truck or blind and on foot in search of whitetail, axis, and pigs. Sniping is done from behind concealment (and hopefully cover, as well). I can hardly believe that at 56 Im finally going to break down and get a .308.. Dont ask me why. Those vibrations run down the barrel ahead of the bullet. Call Rugers customer support with the serial number of your RPR and theyll send to you. Overall, I was very pleased and expect to get the accuracy sorted out on this rifle. Would be like a Corvette vs. a riced out Honda Civic. I just picked one up used in 308 for $1000 as an impulse buy even though I was impatiently waiting for one in 6.5. Well see.. Its all part of the fun, attempting the impossible. WebRuger Precision Rifle .308 Winchester Optics not included StockFolding, Adjustable Length of Pull and Comb Height Barrel Length20" BarrelCold Hammer-Forged, 5R Rifling HandguardRuger Precision Rifle Short-Action Twist1:10" RH Grooves5 Weight9.8 lb. I would love to own a GA Precision or Surgeon rifle someday but this will have to do for now. Submitted at 03:40 hours today a,n article that compares the .30-06 to the 6.5 Creedmoor, vindicating the old school. They are virtually identical, but the Creedmoor is a tad faster, and because it is a modern rifle, and sold as a precision rifle, and factory ammunition is tailored for accuracy at long ranges, the rifle will likely be more accurate straight out of the box. In retrospect I probably should have gotten the 6.5 Creedmore. The 6.5 shot the 120 gr. A .30-06 in a 1903 Springfield recoils more than a .308, it has a steel buttplate, and thats still a what recoil? for this old man and many men much older than I. $803.99 $729.99. The scaling seems to work quite well, and if youre so inclined, you can even stick a KeyMod grip stop to the end of the gun, C-clamp it like Costa, and work that oversized bolt handle like a madman. Never got it back, oh well, history I guess. And because it is a box fed semi-auto in AR guise, it could be brutally efficient in the field. All mags worked fine. But it can sure work as one, even though it is about 10 pounds unloaded without a scope it could be carried afield for hunting. Paid $1079.00. If you enjoyed this article youll probably like these: 5 Best Ruger 10/22 Receivers If so, bbl swap out should be a breeze for someone with the right tools. Ill just turn up the wick a bit and Ill have this Ruger singing a sub moa song every time it thumps dinner. But the M4 crowd is fond of stuff like that. It is plenty for those ranges, and it will be flatter as a result. So if you can get it done with a shorter barrel, you should, as the payoff in handling is well worth the velocity penalty. The 168-gr Match Hollow Point load was giving me 3-shot groups close to 3/4-inches and I had to check several times, to make sure all three rounds were hitting the target they were that close often just one ragged hole. Hopefully Ill now be able to compete with the rest of the long range shooters at our club. This level of customization is only going to get better as this rifle gains market traction. Because the Swede uses its long barrel, and slow powders at much lower pressures the barrels, the brass lasts forever. JWR is a journalist, technical writer, and novelist. BTW, we didnt know we couldnt hit the steel with the old .308 round because the hot .264s (6.5CM, .260 Rem, etc) hadnt been invented yet. seems they are Hornady 150 grain SP In a 10lb 308? range.. Having just purchased this RPR in .308WIN I find all these comments quite depressing. Out of the box, 90 minutes on the range with a $109 scope. All offer ambidextrous manual safeties and are a great option for an affordable long-range rifle. But that just is not gonna happen, in my old age. The Black Hills Gold their hunting ammo, gave me groups slightly below one inch, if I did my part, and thats mighty fine for a hunting load. The Swede barrel that can match Creedmoor velocities is the long M96 barrel with a 1:7.8 twist that can handle most of the heavy 6.5 bullets the Creedmoor typically can with it s 24 1:8 twist barrels. There just might another article in me on that, and several other gun related topics. Its like buying a safari rifle and faulting it because it has too much recoil to shoot prairie dogs all day. An entry-level tactical bolt rifle at a decent price point, DBM, and receiver rail. James Wesley, Rawles (JWR) is Founder and Senior Editor of SurvivalBlog, the original prepping /survival blog for when the Schumer Hits The Fan (SHTF). Is this an ideal sniper rifle? It will just cost more to practice with the Creedmore. The SST is just as accurate and a better performer on deer, yet the Amax pretty darn good on deer as well. Ill stick around and read more reviews. I guess my point is that designating any rifle a sniper rifle does not imbue it with some strange and mystical power. Question of the Day: WWJS (What Would Jesus Shoot)? For example the newer 6.5mm 150 grain Serria BTHP can be run out a .260 Remingtion at 2,697 fps. In any event, well all have to answer for our actions someday. Many times, when they are busy, Ill step behind the counter to lend a hand with gun customers. It all about taking the time to do some quite deliberate tests. Thats a benefit, e.g.:http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1616372-sniper-s-hide-complete-ruger-upgrade-review. Been shooting for more than 40 years and never heard of such a thing. Check the web majority of those who compare it to the Savage prefer it to ruger, and its 20% cheaper. The Creedmoor uses a smaller cartridge up to a maximum pressure of 62,000 psi, where as the Swede uses a larger case and slower powers at a much lower maximum pressure 46,000 cup (about 50,000 psi). Really? One gentleman suggested that a simple recrowning might fix some of the issues I saw, and frankly, its possible that a good cleaning would help. No adjustments were made to optics. Factory ammo is plentiful and cost competitive with factory match .308. I get the same accuracy with either of my Armalite AR10s. However, if I had my .308s piled up, and had the money to play, I would choose the 6.5 Grendel in a low cost rife from Palmetto State Armory, and that could my DMR platform after a low cost version in 5.56, or better yet, a 7.62 version that would cost much more in the AR-10. I am getting my Viper HS-T properly mounted this week and will hit it again this weekend. Its ballistic coefficient isnt as good as 6.5, so it is more affected by wind. Match Kings. This is the part where Im going to immediately contradict myself it doesnt matter. The Creedmoor is a very nice package, and the available ammunition from Hornady is impressive with advertised ballistic coefficients approaching an amazing .7 However, if they offered it in .260 Remington, which I doubt they will, the top speeds would be greater, 50 to 100 fps faster at a lower pressures that may improve barrel life. WebDetailsThe Ruger Precision Rifle series is Rugers attempt to get in on the rising popularity of precision long range competitive shooting and it is a fine attempt at that. And this is the rub as it relates to this RPR. I shot the Norma 178 gr. And, Ive heard this asked many, many times do you have any sniper rifles? and when that question is asked of me, Ill point to all the long guns on the racks. Thats surprising as .308 has a reputation as being an inherently accurate, consistent cartridge. Of course, no matter how a rifle is made, if it wont shoot accurately, it is of no use to the man or woman behind the trigger. The rifle can fold its If the rifle doesnt perform its intended job, that is a legitimate criticism. Round #3 was 2 higher, but I attribute that to the guy shooting next to me kicking my mat that the bi pod was standing on as I pulled the trigger. One thing I noticed is that this rifle is slow.

Visalia Unified School District Holiday Schedule, James Clement Survivor Height Weight, Deion Sanders 100m Time, Ground Round Ranch Dressing Recipe, Stumpy Nubs Drill Press Table, Articles R