henry margusity leaves accuweather » what motivates scientists to ask why

what motivates scientists to ask why

• por

In high school, I discovered my passion for molecular biology. (2019) and Iorio et al. leadership or assertiveness. be it through governed work spaces or not! That still does not explain why humans have more neurons than, say, gorilla. Active meditation can prevent intrusive thoughts from sabotaging your practice. Depression: Goodbye Serotonin, Hello Stress and Inflammation, How Blame and Shame Can Fuel Depression in Rape Victims, Getting More Hugs Is Linked to Fewer Symptoms of Depression, Interacting With Outgroup Members Reduces Prejudice, You Can't Control Your Teen, But You Can Influence Them. Formulate questions that would tell you what you would like to know. I became interested in whether being Aboriginal online attracted the same sort of scrutiny as Aboriginal people regularly experienced offline. Some scientists are motivated by the prospect of discovery, but this is often supplemented by the desire to solve a practical problem. During my undergraduate and postgraduate years, my circle of friends included a few people who were pursuing their PhD degrees. Recent cognitive and neuroimaging studies support a view, however, that what we call curiosity" may actually encompass a family of different psychological states that are powered by distinct circuits in the brain. How Does Life Live?, NYT Op-Doc https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/opinion/how-does-life-live.html. We The process can go smoothly if we completely grasp what we are aiming for and working towards in our studies. I remember learning of the [Meseleson-Stahl] experiment in my AP Biology class, and I remember thinking, Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to understand. Nor does it elucidate why the number of neurons in humans doubled in the million and a half years or so that separate Homo habilis (the handy man) and Homo sapiens. The system even integrates popular content spinning and link indexing tools so you can submit URLs even faster and get the most out of your backlinks. Growing up, I had a chemistry set and telescope (later building my own), and because of these, read a lot about chemistry and astronomy. This skepticism keeps the scientists moving towards making greater, newer and more discoveries. This situation changed when Brazilian researcher Suzana Herculano-Houzel and her team introduced a new method for counting neurons. Heres a quick round up of some interesting answers to the questions I was asking: An Editage Insights community member; participant of the, An Editage Insights community member; participant of, Ndayisaba Pierre Celestin An Editage Insights community member; participant of the, Editage Insights six-week challenge for researchers, See more from Aayati Sengupta, How outcome switching is rendering clinical trials meaningless, Open Data in Science - Embracing Open Data for Scientific Progress. I wanted to know the answers to the questions I was asking. Include specific examples to support your response. Psychology Today 2023 Sussex Publishers, LLC. You may find it surprising to hear that until about a decade ago the number of neurons in the brain was not known with a high degree of precision. Yet, for some reason, we stop asking why. //--> Mentoring can take so many different shapes and span many topics. Back then, people tended to separate life into the offline real world and the online virtual world which by implication was not real. Join us in celebrating Peer Review Week 2019! I guess regardless of being online or offline, being Indigenous can attract violent behaviour from settlers. The assumption that scientists are motivated by the ribbon and puzzle in academic research while commercial engagement is driven primarily by the pursuit of the gold builds on a false dichotomy and polarised view of human motivation. Growing up, I would get nudged gently into the yet-uncharted territory of advanced mathematics by my parents, and they would firmly but not unkindly dissuade me from looking up solutions or asking for their help. A job of a researcher was my dream job. So feel free to reach out and let me know what brought you to research and what keeps you or has kept you motivated through the years. New research sheds light on how we are resistant to change. The motivation behind scientists asking "why" is to learn and discover new characteristics of the world. What do you think motivates scientists to ask why? Children of empathic parents thrive. After all, it is curiosity (of all types) and the desire to get to the bottom of things that gave birth to the early spiritual quests and to scientific exploration. They're definitely not unconditional "love muffins.". we must practice because we wont learn it instantly. You could have a professional mentor to help you advance your career in a particular industry or career path. It's a basic answer, but it may lead to more sophisticated and detailed responses when people ask questions and begin study initiatives to find solutions. Though this remains a proverbially uphill battle, it may be more accurate to label it an up-cliff war. Why do humans have more neurons in their cerebral cortex than any other animal? I mined through websites and blogs and came across a few researchers who had somehow managed to (for the lack of a better word) form a whole that served them. : an American History, Active Learning Template Nursing Skill form Therapeutic Communication, ECO 201 - Chapter 2 Thinking like economist part 1, Chapter 4 - Summary Give Me Liberty! What motivations predominate at your current workplace? Men have long been silent and stoic about their inner lives, but theres every reason for them to open up emotionallyand their partners are helping. It's important for leaders to assess their teams strengths, hopes, dreams, and the culture before leaping into major decisions. Yet, for some reason, we stop asking why. This passion led me to where I am today an astrophysicist and data scientist trying to make sense of the universe (and other things) via observations and data analysis. (+1) 202-857-8562 | Fax Scientists ask many questions that end up leading to why. In rodents, by comparison, a ten times larger number of neurons requires a fifty times larger mass! lives. ISBN: 9780134746241 Author: Edward J. Tarbuck, Frederick K. Lutgens, Dennis G. Tasa Publisher: PEARSON Question What do you think motivates scientists to ask, "Why?" In other words, what inspires scientists to pursue their research? [CDATA[> 5 Signs Youd Be Great at It. (http://www.socialmonkee.com/lstw78), Your email address will not be published. Primates manage to cram more neurons into smaller masses. They got paid for studying, while I made no money off of my efforts. 1536 visitors saw this today and 1210 signed up. In primates, a brain that is ten times heavier also has ten times more neurons. They all have in common an innate belief in their work and its place in their life. Here, I will attempt to list some motivations I have encountered in my fellow colleagues (and in myself) to the central question of whywe chose a career in academic science. I was in the middle of a PhD, conducting interviews with Aboriginal people about their identity and involvement in the Aboriginal community. [CDATA[// > Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. Geophysicist, man, age 65, My father is a physicist. Biotechnologist, woman, age 54, Scientists reflections often touched on multiple themes; some emphasized their curiosity about the world and others emphasized the role of people in their lives who fostered their interests. Curiosity also motivates people to ask questions because they want to learn everything they can about a topic or topics they are interested in. I think what drives scientists like Stephen Hawking to ask, "why" questions is because of curiosity to know the things we don't know, (295 words) what drives a scientist . As you read this, scientists the world over are rushing to find out more about the COVID-19 Omicron variant. As I review the original reasons for doing so, they are coming up short. Whilst chasing career achievements is a necessity there is today anexcessive pressure to make this the predominant drivein science, squeezing out any vestiges of other motivations. One click sign-in with your social accounts. I believe that human instinct is what motivates scientists to ask, "Why". Now, rather true to my childhood origins, I regularly study trilobites and am interested in documenting many different aspects of arthropod evolution. In any event, asking questions, along with enhancing resilience, opens possibilities. Original "why": Why cant these politicians solve global warming? For example, protection of DNA from permanent UV damage occurs in the context of photosynthesis and nutrient-dependent RNA-directed DNA methylation, which links RNA-mediated amino acid substitutions to DNA repair. Most scientists try to prove why some things happen the way they happen and in the course of working they find themselves asking questions like why. In primates, a brain that is ten times heavier also has ten times more neurons. In our ongoing project, we present participants with magic tricks (to induce curiosity) and ask them whether they are willing to take a risk of receiving electric shock to know the secret behind the magic . Effect: This approach brings more voices to the concern without judgment. It was not a simple matter of choosing a question or an area that one wanted to focus on and diving in. Considering what motivates a scientist such as Stephen Hawking to inquire, "Why?" " because they are inquisitive people who want to know how things work and why things happen the way they do. It means not expecting too much from my environment. [1] Kelly OBrien (March 22, 2017). Even though, back then, I understood very little of what it would be like to be a researcher, and make no mistake, there are plenty of challenges and hurdles to surmount on this journey, what never failed to inspire me was the utter wonderment of exploring the world of mathematics, much like strolling through the beautiful, mysterious, unfathomably vast and intricate expanse of a forest., I love staying curious and be able to always learn something new and fascinating. A scientist is inquisiti. Based on this week's resources, I think what motivates scientists to ask why and pursue their research is first their curiosity and to find a way to make things easier for us humans. Required fields are marked *. Whilst a natural reaction would be toreassess ones ego and accept a middle-of-the-class position there are those who thrive on the challenge of continuing to be the smartest person in the room. Practice Improves the Potential for Future Plasticity, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/opinion/how-does-life-live.html. Lets look at some examples. Spend time today looking at the world from the perspective of what more might you like to know about what you are seeing. Reason for asking "why" is to remove any responsibility in the answer. A roadmap for developing mental resilience skills. That final step only came in third-year experimental physics, when I discovered new properties of liquid crystals no one had found before. 9 Researchers share their thoughts, Today, my work with the Editage Insights team has brought me back to researchers again. The initial enthusiasm almost always seems to get replaced by a sense of cynicism and depression. Cross), Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications (Gay L. R.; Mills Geoffrey E.; Airasian Peter W.), Forecasting, Time Series, and Regression (Richard T. O'Connell; Anne B. Koehler), Biological Science (Freeman Scott; Quillin Kim; Allison Lizabeth), Brunner and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (Janice L. Hinkle; Kerry H. Cheever), Principles of Environmental Science (William P. Cunningham; Mary Ann Cunningham), Psychology (David G. Myers; C. Nathan DeWall), Campbell Biology (Jane B. Reece; Lisa A. Urry; Michael L. Cain; Steven A. Wasserman; Peter V. Minorsky), The Methodology of the Social Sciences (Max Weber), Civilization and its Discontents (Sigmund Freud), Give Me Liberty! Using the earlier examples, lets see how they can be shifted as well so that the judgment dimension is diminished or eliminated entirely. And as one author put it, "One day the flow of questions will stop, but of course even as adults, were still searching for the answers.[1]. Mindlessness and Memory Slips: How to Find What You've Lost, How to Stop Your Mind From Wandering During Meditation, The Dreadful Physical Symptoms of Dementia, 2 Ways Empathy Determines the Type of Partner We Choose, To Be Happy for the Rest of Your Life, Seek These Goals, 3 Ways to Improve Your Cognitive Flexibility, Forget Me Not: The Persistent Myth of Repressed Memories. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research. Our writers are also well trained to follow client instructions as well adhere to various writing conventional writing structures as per the demand of . The academic career system is set up much like a video game: withpoints (impact factors, H-indexes, citation numbers), mana (grants!) Some people are motivated by achievement. But what sealed it in the end was Douglas Giancolis textbook Physics: Principles with Applications, which I came across at about age 16. Cues, yes, but never a complete solution. The effect is that people stop asking questions. It's so easy so why do people still feel reluctant to ask why? Indeed, if theres anything the pandemic has made clear, its that the importance of scientific research cant be understated in todays world. This says that while I am asking a question, it is because I am a part of the conversation and part of the answer as well. With your response to Question 1 in mind, reflect on why you selected your news story. Are we basing our actions on previous experiences and never questioning that those early experiences no longer exist? And once in their fields, there can be political and economic pressures with which to contend.