henry margusity leaves accuweather » what is the speaker referring to in these lines?

what is the speaker referring to in these lines?

• por

What does he find in the leaden casket? Others have rain in the sense of scatter down the joy. surfeit : to sicken of a thing from having too much of it. PORTIA : I would keep you here for a month or two Before you gamble for me. He then springs a surprise by expressing his wish to , get (married. Question 5. GRATIANO : I thank you sir, you have gotten me one. Question 5. On what occasion are these words spoken? He calls it merely pale and common drudge between man and man. Why does Portia think herself fortunate? Midas was very avaricious and asked that whatever he touched might turn to gold. Hard food for Midas : Midas was an ancient king who was allowed to ask a certain favour from the gods. Beshrew your eyes : means Curse you! though the expression is always used in a humorous and light-hearted manner, where a curse is not intended, overlookd : the evil eye. lord : used as owner without regard to sex. Bassanio says that the portrait is so near to being alive that the artist has almost created life.or whether, riding on the balls of mine, seem they in motion : or is it the fact that their image is taken up by my own eyeballs, which seem to impart motion to them? The speaker finds himself envying what others have, and in lines 5-9 he sees almost everyone as having something he lacks. Intermission no more pertains to me my Lord than you. Answer: Gratiano proves that he is no less smart and quick than his master, Bassanio. window.__mirage2 = {petok:"fCUiZCakGELsS06pzPxPLT0EvontXPdQ.PAiCp98U7Q-1800-0"}; Edited by MJ Davis Lin, Michael Benoist and Lisa Chow. The beards of Hercules and frowning Mars : men who are cowards, yet wear beards like Hercules, the god of strength, and wear a frowning expression which might suit Mars, the god of war. Drudge actually means a hard-worked slave. Answer: The speaker is referring to the glowing lamp that the worm carries. If she discloses the secret, it would mean the breach of faith and the breaking of an oath. How, and what risk Antonio helped Bassanio and at what risk? To what does Portia refer by this expression? Give a reason for your answer. She is no longer a mistress of herself. (a) peals of praise (b) until confirmed, signed, ratified by you. InterestonbeginningcapitalbalancesSalariesRemainderJordan3%$12,00060%ONeal3%$12,00040%. Question 2. It shows how America is a war zone that takes strength from people and causes them unnecessary stress. The speaker couldn't think of anything else to write. Summary. On that date, Hill invested$99,800 of cash into the partnership for a 20 percent capital interest. Why is the speaker doubtful whether what he sees is true? What does "the prize we sought is won" refer to? It will be seen how nobly, and yet modestly, she ratifies the decision of the lottery. "My name is Sadie. Then he found that when he attempted to eat, his food was at once turned to gold. \text{Remainder} & 60\% & 40\%\\ This legendary king touched his own daughter, and she turned into gold. But she is bound to honour the will of her father. To make it rhyme. What does Portia want Bassanio to do before going to Venice? Each partner contributed the following assets (the noncash assets are stated at their fair values on January 1, 20X7): JordanONealCash$60,000$50,000Inventories80,0000Land0130,000Equipment100,0000\begin{array}{lrr} Question 4. \text{Interest on beginning capital balances} & 3\% & 3\% \\ Question 6. Bassanio refers in the text to his being in a giddy spirit after having performed what looks like a miracle. Which rhetorical appeal do both excerpts use? . What is Bassanios opinion about the golden locks of women? What is the speaker referring to in these lines? \text{Inventories} & 80,000 & 0 \\ So may he the outward shows be least themselves : The sense here is that the outward appearances of things may differ greatly from their real natures, still : continually; always. Question 1. Hochul. What role the music will play if in case Bassanio succeeds? At last, he was able to secure the promise that Nerissa would marry Gratiano if Bassanio won the hand of Portia. The North has won the Civil War. The poet finds himself in the same situation: Heaven personified is God, and in this case he is "deaf," making the poet's cries "bootless," or useless. How many cowards, whose hearts are all as false As stairs of sand, still wear the beards of Hercules and frowning Mars on their chins, Who, if searched inside, would have livers as white as milk; And the only thing these men do to look fear fulls to put on velvet clothes Look on beauty And you shall see its bought by the pound: Which works a miracle in nature, Making them who wear most of it look the lightest. Answer: SALARINO depicts Shylock as a villain who is determined to demand a pound of Antonios flesh because Antonio has forfeited the bond. Never did I know A creature that was shaped like a man, So eager and greedy to destroy a man completely. My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will; Which statement best describes the significance of comparing Lincoln's death to the death of a captain on his ship in "O Captain! In religion,what damned error, but some sober brow will bless it, and approve it with a text, hiding the grossness with fair ornament : similarly in religion it is possible for some wicked doctrine to appear fair and true if expounded by a serious priest, and concluded by a text from the Bible.simple : plain; unmistakable, stairs of sand : these would indeed be very untrustworthy and unreliable steps to walk upon. Read these lines from Whitman's "O Captain! From her cautious confessions and nervous style, we can surely conclude that she is passionately in love with the handsome suitor. 6. Bassanio/ has the wisdom and good luck to choose the leaden casket which contained Portias portrait. Question 4. Question 2. Answer: Bassanio chooses the lead casket with its unassuming appearance which does not make attractive promises. \text{Land} & 0 & 130,000 \\ My Captain!? Or do they seem to be moving Because they are riding on my eyeballs? for wooing here, until I sweat again : Gratiano says that his love suit was hard and difficult matter, and compares it to bard labourWhich makes a man perspire, swearing : making declarations of his love, if promise last : if her promise still holds good. People on a boat are happy to be returning home from . Earlier in a line she talked of detaining him for a 'day or two'. Portias fate is similar to her. Shylock succeeds in making Antonio feel miserable because of his demand for a pound of Antonios flesh. Sales revenue 175,000175,000175,000 310,000 Cost of goods sold (60,000 ) (85,000 ) Salary to owners Jack and Jill (40,000 ) (50,000 ) Employee wages (15,000 ) (20,000 ) Depreciation expense (10,000 ) (15,000 ) Miscellaneous expenses (7,500 ) (9,000 ) Interest income (related to business) 2,000 2,500 Qualified dividend income 500 1,000 Overall net income 45,00045,00045,000 134,500. a. heart! So he chose the dull-coloured leaden casket which challenged him to dare something for love. [CDATA[ Question 3. Go, Hercules! The person who did not have money enough to arrange a journey from Venice to Belmont, has now enough to repay his loan many times the principal amount. 8. That created an opening for Albany Democrats to use their legislative supermajorities to approve congressional and state Senate lines . My eyes, my lord, can look as quickly as yours: You saw the mistress, I saw the maid; You loved, I loved, because a rest Doesnt pertain any more to me, my lord, than to you. Do you think Bassanio is satisfied by his praise of Portias beauty? Closing with a purpose The poem was first published in 1888without a titlein Henley's first volume of poetry. This also indirectly has given Gratiano his wife in Nerissa. The author talks about the victory when he asks for the captain to "hear the bells", which is most likely a reference to the bells of liberty, but he is prevented to celebrate too long because he is mourning President Lincolns's death since they're bringing flowers to the captain of the ship (the President of the United States). The simile of a lark is developed in lines 10-12, when the speaker describes the effect that a thought of his love has on his "state," or emotional well-being. It could further be compared to the seeming truth which people put on the deceive even the wisest persons. Answer: Her sweet breath is the bar between the lips of Portia. Making them lightest that wear most of it : Women who wear the greatest amount of artificial aids to beauty are the lightest (in morals) whereas we would expect to find them heaviest. a. Question 3. b. euphemism What is the speaker referring to? However, ultimately Antonio is rescued from the Jews clutches by Portias ingenuity. Explain why Bassanio rejects the gold casket. Please review the episode audio before quoting from this . If he had the present money : if he had the money at the present time, confound : ruin; reduce to beggary, plies : continues to approach; presses, and doth impeach the freedom of the state : to impeach in legal language, meant to bring an accusation against. Shylock brings the charge that Venice is denying him his legal rights, and therefore is violating the free rights which foreigners were supposed to enjoy, magnificoes of greatest : port, the greatest nobles of Venice were termed Magnifici, the Hoble-minded or magnificent ones Of greatest port may be rendered as of the most noble carriage, when I was with him, I have heard him swear : this is an indication of the passage of time showing that Jessica is speaking of things by no means recent. This transcript was created using speech recognition software. \text{Salaries} & \$12,000 & \$12,000\\ The emotional state of the speaker in Sonnet 29 is one of depression: in the first line, he assumes himself to be "in disgrace with fortune," meaning he has been having bad luck. Her picture is shut in one of these caskets. What is meant by ornament in the passage? It is only after the result of Bassanios choice is known that Gratiano discloses the agreement he and Nerissa had reached regarding their own marriage. "Mark nodded and looked down at his feet. But she is happy that she is not yet so old and rigid that she cannot learn. Answer: Portia tells Bassanio to desist from making the choice of the casket. Its paleness proves more attractive, finally, than the bright appearance of other two metals. Define bewildered. by repeating how people cannot make the land as sacred as the soldiers have. So are those crisp, snaky, golden locks Which are playing games with the wind, On made-up beauty, often known Actually to be wigs of human hair, The head that bred them is in the tomb. Answer: The splendid success which followed Bassanios choice of the right casket is too good to be believed by him. Question 2. My Captain!". SONNET 104: WHY DO YOU THINK APRIL WILL HAVE A PERFUME? \end{array} ke roses,end underline,. What, not one hit : What! Which line from Whitman's "O Captain! Midas was a miserly king. Mark has a nice smile.3. Has not a single one attained its object? Question 1. People on a boat are happy to be returning home from a trip. d. metaphorical clich, This section may include dates, deadlines, or a summary. counterfeit : something made exactly the same as another, what demi-god hath come so near creation : a demi-god is a half-divine person. The final couplet of Sonnet 29 declares that this joyfulness brought about by a thought of the fair lord is enough to convince the speaker that he is better off than royalty. All the wealth I had, Ran in my veins : that I possessed no riches except noble blood, rating myself at nothing : when I estimated my possessions at nothing, was a braggart : I was actually boasting and over estimating, mere enemy : one who was his complete or absolute enemy, feed my means : increase my resources, issuing life-blood : discharging his life-blood. What according to Bassanio, were the dangers encountered by the painter while painting the eyes of Portia? She was satisfied with her lot. b. euphemism What has the other person got the speaker one? Answer: A moment ago she was the mistress of this beautiful house. Nerissa and others standing nearby represent the women of Troy. . Explain briefly how the theme of appearance and reality is referred to in this extract. Mark has a nice smile.3. \\ What promise she takes from Bassanio after giving him the ring? Explain clearly the points of comparison. Come, lets go! D. A celebration is being held by the passengers of a ship. pathos: the use of emotional appeals to affect the audience's feelings. It also shows Jessicas character, and some might fancy that this betrayal of her fathers confidential talk is not an admirable trait. Answer: Others present on the scene are Portia and Nerissa. Like a lark that sings at dawn, my situation seems to brighten and become hopeful; "For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings / That then I scorn to change my state with kings.". Which impact is Lincoln most likely hoping to achieve with the above statement? The "Daily Show" correspondent Roy Wood Jr., seemingly spared no-one in his roasts during Saturday's White House Correspondents' Dinner. Thus the first should have been left without its companion eye (unfumishd = unaccompanied), doth limp behind the substance : moves like a lame person (limp) in an unsuccessful effort to keep up with the original, continent : that which contains; the container, you that choose not by the view : the whole principle on which the choice of the caskets is founded is expressed in this line, namely that men should not choose by outward appearances, but should look deeply for the real meaning of things. green-eyed jealousy : jealousy is personified here, and said to be a monster with green eyes. Answer: It can be approved by the authority of a holy quotation. English, 14.04.2020 01:43 lauren21bunch. Bassanio fell in love with the lady while Gratiano lost his heart to Nerissa. In case he chose wrongly, she would lose his company. Question 1. My Captain!". April has a perfume because of the flowers that begin to bloom. Not affiliated with Harvard College. Then music is Sounds as the trumpets when true subjects bow To a new-crowned king; music is Those sweet sounds at sunrise That creep into the dreaming bridegrooms ear And summon him to marriage. It might also be compared to the beautiful scarf covering an ugly Indian woman. The title of the poem, 'Invictus,' which is Latin for "unconquered," was given by the editor of "The Oxford Book of English Verse."This poem is a favorite in popular culture, making appearances in movies such as Casablanca and the Nelson Mandela movie of the same name. Gentle lady, When I first gave my love to you, I freely told you that all the wealth that I had Ran in my veins, I was a gentleman; And then I told you the truth. Now he goes, With no less confidence, but with much more love, Than young Alcides went to redeem The sacrifice of young women made by howling Troy To the sea-monster: I stand for sacrifice; The rest aloof are the Dardanian wives, With tear-stained faces coming out to view The outcome of the event. The partnership of Jordan and O'Neal began business on January 1, 20X7. Bassanio dwells in detail on the theme of appearance and reality. It was a token of Portias love and remembrance and if it was ever lost, it will mean the end of their love. How can we obscure the show of evil in law? Q. Let's be friends. Those women who make a very good use of cosmetics look superficial although outwardly they may look beautiful. Question 4. \end{array} Therefore, the poet is referring to Lincoln's tragic death. to you and yours is now converted! now pass to you, and become part of your property. He also feels in disgrace with "men's eyes," implying that the general public looks on him unfavorably. What does Portia means by, I would detain you here some month or two/Before you venture for me? More books than SparkNotes. Her worth is yet to reveal itself in her brilliant interpretation of law while defending Antonio in the law court. In short, to neglect an opportunity is against his nature as it is against Bassanios nature. Such is the nature of his would-be-wife (Portia) that in all humility she places herself as well as all her wealth at the disposal of this young man, who was a pauper before coming to her and who will be rich like a lord after marriage. Celine's professor did not realize that Celine was using a(n) ______________ to make the topic sounds less explicit. She accepts Bassanio, the man much after her heart, as her husband and places herself and all that she possesses at his disposal, Passage 10 (Act III, Sc.II, Lines 156-174). Answer: Gold is referred to as gaudy which means that it is showy with no real worth of its own. Passage 13 (Act III, Sc.II, Lines 270-289). life's simple pleasures. The speaker celebrates each individual song, which . Jack and Jill are owners of UpAHill, an S corporation. The idea of cursing one's fate also hearkens to Job, who cursed himself after falling out of God's favor. Having made one eye, I think it should have power to steal both his, And leave itself poor: yet look, how far The body of my praise insults this shadow By valuing it less, so far this shadow Limps behind the substance. Is that all? Passage 7 (Act III, Sc.II, Lines 124-138), BASSANIO : but her eyes! Beautiful Portias picture! Assume that UpAHill Corporation has $100,000 of qualified property (unadjusted basis) in both years. The fact that the lark rises from the "sullen earth" at "break of day" implies that the day is much happier than the night; day break is compared to the dawning of a thought of the beloved. In line 7, he envies the artistic talent of one man, and the opportunities afforded someone else. Answer: Bassanio thinks that women use beauty aids or cosmetics to look beautiful. What is the speaker referring to in these lines? give it away, Let it predict the ruin of your love J And be my opportunity to cry out against you! Shakespeare's Sonnets study guide contains a biography of William Shakespeare, literature essays, a complete e-text, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis. When I told you That I had nothing, I should have told you then That I had less than nothing, because indeed I have indebted myself to a dear friend, Indebted my friend to his notorious enemy, To feed my needs. With these lines, the speaker compares death to "rest and sleep" and even uses the word "pleasure" to describe how one should feel about death. How does he compare the words written in the letter? Question 5. crisped : curled. Question 5. What is Bassanio impression of silver? People on a boat are happy to be returning home from a trip. So, you gaudy gold, Hard food for Midas, I dont anything from you; And not from you either, you pale and common exchange Between man and man: but you, you lowly lead, Which threatens rather than promises anything, Your plainness moves me more than any speech, And I choose you: joy be the result! Lincoln fell and was seriously injured. This would deprive her of his sweet company. Passage 11 (Act III, Sc.II, Lines 197-207). And not one vessel escaped the dreadful touch Of the rocks that can break a merchant? My Captain!" This appreciative attitude is a humble acknowledgment of the virtues of a Christian country like America. a. denotative meaning As a result, even the food, which he touched, changed into gold, thus making it impossible to eat. Question 4. What has the speaker come to give and to receive? purchasd by the weight : the beautiful colours and complexion of womens faces have been bought (in the form of cosmetics) in chemists shops. these naughty times put bars between the owners and their rights : the evil times we live in put obstacles between men and their rightful property. Portia refers to the compulsory choice between the caskets, as a barrier to be surmounted before Bassanio can possess himself of what is already his own by right, herself. Answer: Portia tells Bassanio to desist from making the choice of the casket. $23.18+$14.86+$55.18\$23.18 + \$14.86 + \$55.18$23.18+$14.86+$55.18, b. Because you shall go away on your wedding day, Bid your friends welcome, show a happy face; Since you are bought so dearly, Ill love you dearly. here are severd lips, parted with sugar breath : her lips are slightly parted by the sweet perfumed breath which passes in and out. Sonnet 1 - "From fairest creatures we desire increase", Sonnet 18 - "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? It became hard for that greedy king who wanted to have all gold in his life. How does she submit herself to Bassanio? Answer: Bassanio compares ornament to a deceptive sea-shore which leads a ship into a dangerous sea. What does the scroll say about a person who does not choose by the external qualities? Answer: Portias words belie her real worth and yet they reveal her character. The people of the country are celebrating Lincoln's victory. She would be filled with remorse, wishing that she had rather broken the oath and helped him to win by choosing correctly. Question 6. Answer: She wants him to go to the church with her and legally make her his wife. In stanza 4, what discovery does the speaker say "we" made? Question 2. Best summary PDF, themes, and quotes. Gratiano got the benefit into the bargain. Question 2. Answer: Portia claims to be a humble girl. 5. Answer: Bassanio then turns to the silver casket. Answers: 3 April 25, 2023. Why is it said to be a common drudge Tween man and man? because there might be multiple answers and they had to figure out those answers themselves. Question 1. Question 6. Lines 1- 4. This is why he is doubtful of his success even when it has been achieved. When Portia sees Bassanio inclining towards that casket she bursts into a mood of extreme joy which is hard to contain. He is prepared to risk all for love. Mark's cheeks are soft. Despite the hardships endured and the terrible injustices suffered there is a dignified . The ship imagery at the beginning introduces the idea of life as a journey with dangers. He knows that the world is cheated by external decoration.

Willow Creek Community Church South Barrington, Articles W