henry margusity leaves accuweather » 6 why might akala say that we should teach shakespeare

6 why might akala say that we should teach shakespeare

• por

He is more Shakespeare than Shakespeare himself. Angel So, sitting people down and forcing them to read Shakespeare Performance poetry has to be performance first. We had help from Joe Philip at Covered PR, from Mariama Abudulai and from Ryan Pate at the Dub Room Studio in Los Angeles. Im saying what RZA rapped about was or Lauryn Hill or any of these great artists, to me, they are my Shakespeares, they are my philosophers, theyre the people who got me into history. AKALA: Okay. the outer limits or edge of an area or object. The definition of hip hop he gave was fascinating. This podcast episode, The Poets Pen Turns Them to Shapes, was produced by Richard Paul. I study Mechanical Engineering at the University of Nottingham (2nd in the UK for my course according to the Guardian) and not one of my lecturers can deliver like this man! so happy to find akala. BARBARA: Also, Im still gonna go no Shakespeare. He's like a present-day Alan Watts. Music is imitating the rhythm of life what an intelligent perception, his lectures are intellectually rich. But what do you want people to go home with? BARBARA: Well, what when you do that exercise, then, what misperceptions do you find that people have? OMG my theatre arts teacher showed this to us in class last year. There are three quarters of a million books surviving in the University of Timbuktu, which was the main university in that kingdom, though there were three universities. BARBARA: Well, weve been talking about a lot of these misperceptions of Shakespeare but what are the common misperceptions of hip-hop? There was a long tradition of gathering at Congo Square on a Sunday and when we understand this griot tradition and the drums and call and response and African polyrhythms and everything that came before it, we can literally plot a line through jazz and blues and gospel and reggae music in the Caribbean up to hip-hop. That was incredible stuff, very impressive and informative. It hits so hard it's so lit.. Wow. Agreed! If Biggie Smalls told a story like that, people would say, why is he glorifying violence? Finish Akala's sentence: "Rhythm is so intrinsic (or natural) to us because music is imitating _____" A heart beat. One reason sometimes put forward is that there is something in Caribbean culture that devalues education. Maybe the people who don't like it actually understand it in a way you don't comprehend. The assignment is like two weeks late . He then goes on to explain how many people who often criticize hip-hop dont actually understand it. Use this to follow along: Sonnet 18 Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Get real, homey. Bring Shakespeares work to life in the classroom. Understanding Shakespeare has a tremendous impact on young people because he is seen as so difficult. What is the main thing shared between Shakespearean language and hip-hop? They raise questions of morality, politics, war, wealth, and death. In awe at the knowledge of this lad. One example of that is in conflict mediation. Truly Amazing!! Brilliant. You know, youre being poetic but at the same time youve put these very serious constraints on you but what the iambic pentameter, I think, gives you, it makes it a lot easier to memorize and as weve now discovered, you know, we can see that over modern music is a pretty good way for a person to learn how to flow. Even though America has massive problems we dont have, they still have more paths out of the hood than we do. Thank you!!!! Big up Akala and the intelligent movement! Answer by Guest. BARBARA: Well maybe youve already answered this question but, you know, every age relates to Shakespeare in a different way, and its the clich to say that every age relates to Shakespeare. Thats not an easy feat and, AKALA: Yeah, exactly, right? I'm new to Akala. Whereas if I play you Lauryn Hill performing it on MTV Unplugged, immediately youre like, I didnt understand half the words. I mean its listen, I dont like to embarrass people but we did a workshop, one of our launch workshops. AKALA: No, absolute pleasure. But that didnt mean he was always a good boy. "Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses can't define" Hip Hop Shakespeare 7. This is fantastic. They say, slave music. for someone from UK he knows the roots of hip hop. As part of the colonizing efforts of the British in imperial India, the first English literature curricula were constructed, and Shakespeare's plays were central to . Its all over the place. We should teach Shakespeare because it could teach our future generation ways into how these texts, visuals, and themes, can connect to our life experiences or tragedies. (Not relevant to radio "rap"). This is a wonderful lecture. So they set up Saturday schools.. The original Shakespeare theatre was built in 1599, it has since become Shakespeare's Globe theatre Although it's not "well known", Akala says the world in the book might feel familiar to some . BARBARA: And kind of the ultimate re-interpreter. And actually its a different challenge now and iambic pentameter is very easy to find the rhythm of because its consistent, whereas the stuff in The Tempest is much more difficult. AKALA: Next one, we will go for, I was not born under a rhyming planet.. 1.) Okay, cool. , the inclusion of a bill of rights in the u.s. constitution was the direct result of the. Thank you for this Akala eyes opened, mind slightly blown appreciate! So, when you turn on the BBC, youll find that people speak like this. -Five sets, two beats; dee-dum, dee-dum, dee-dum, dee-dum, dee-dum 3.) I feel that Akala was more interactive with the audience and much more informative. You look at the end of a Shakespearean text and theyll be the word mood and blood. And youll be like, why have that in there? So, I think, like I said, theres a lot of proeven Received Pronunciation. You still talk but it still perplexes me. 3. So. , Akala is too much! AJ says: "Because hip-hop tells stories, Shakespeare is a good subject. And if you think of the millions of people all around the world, that rap, only a handful of them are actually genuinely incredible. I mean you gotta remember when blues was around, you know, in the UK, we have a paper called the Daily Mail, a favorite right-wing paper. And so people would gather. so inspiring and intellectual, and passionate about what he does, wanting to create a positive impact through music but also just a great guy trying to make a change! Some of the stuff that doesnt rhyme. AKALA: Yeah, we did a production of Richard II which were revamping and will go on tour soon. I mean it certainly could be Shakespeare. A philosopher for the people. I have a problem with that being the only voice that cuts through and being seen as the dominant perception. Im Michael Witmore, the Folgers director and, no, Im not going to give you the answer right now. One of the things I learned, going all around the world and working with hip-hop artists in Brazil and Algeria and all sorts of different placesin fact, one of my good, good friends is a legendary Brazilian rapper called MC Marechal, [CLIP: MC MARECHAL raps in Brazilian Portuguese]. Ticket savings, great seats, and exclusive benefits, Our award-winning performances of Shakespeare, adaptations, and new works, Our early music ensemble Folger Consort and more, Our longstanding O.B. Songs. the messenger tells leonato, governor of messina, that the men are returning from battle. Find teaching resources and opportunities. There was kind of a sense of we dont have to, you know, reverence Saint Shakespeare, hes the greatest thing since sliced bread, and he can only belong to the people at the top of the society. Its really interesting. Why might Akala say that we should teach Shakespeare? It has to be rhythm first. Its invocations and music. You know, Othello is okay. Don't you know the king's name is a tower? AKALA: I think theres two points in there. But what we look at one of the things thats interesting about the iambic pentameter, anyone whos an MC will know that its very difficult to write a verse that is transferable. Grudge. Learning never stops! O'Brien said that Shakespeare has been adapted to different times in history since nearly the moment he wrote the plays, and calls the trend to bring hip-hop and Shakespeare together a great one. For me, its that sense of cultural property, of not being told, You are X. So, a standard bar of music, you know, four beats and if you put a ten over four if you can visualize it in that way, where youve got ten think of it like high hats. Press Esc to cancel. So, the type of societies that West Africans came from to the Americas has often been oversimplified. Even an acclaimed Shakespearean actor like Sir Ian McKellen cant always answer correctly. Theres something for everyone. That English accent doesnt exist in England anymore. Im glad we have people like this raising awareness for Hip Hop, which is an arcane but beautiful culture if you can really enjoy and understand it. [CLIP from Akalas track, Comedy Tragedy History]. Musicality was central to Shakespeare. If I had a teacher like that I know I would have been attending all my lesson. Maybe its food for the spirit. Wait, is that Shakespeare? AKALA: Yeah, he was sampling other peoples stories. Esther French is the web producer. Knowing, basically.The connection between Shakespeare and Hip Hop, according to Akala, is uniting the ideas of people. BARBARA: The horrible ones are the interesting ones, yeah. Disturb. Whos watching this because your teacher assigned it to you????????? Akala at TEDxAldeburgh, AKALA - DAT BOY AKALA (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO), Akala: The History Of Cultural Appropriation In Black Music, THIS CHANGED MY LIFE | Akala - Fire In The Booth (part 1) REACTION, Akala - The Thieves Banquet Part I + II ( Lyrics ), Akala & Ms Dynamite Ft Ghetto & Big Seac - Knowbody, Akala ft Kabaka Pyramid & Marshall - Giants, Akala Details The Roots Of His Philosophies: "There's Not Enough Seats At The Table", Akala - 10 Years Of Akala (Full Album Stream), A HISTORY OF RACISM | AKALA - MAANGAMIZI (REACTION), Deepest Song: Akala - "Find No Enemy" Via @AmaruDonTV, There Is No Escaping Shakespeare | The New York Times, IAMBIC PENTAMETER for Teachers and Students. So it depends on the audience. This is heavily raised class. This is a romanticized view of things, because it sounds nice for tourism purposes. Complete the questions from yesterday then turn them in. So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee. Rhyme differs even in English. Shakespeare Unlimited comes to you from the Folger Shakespeare Library, home to the worlds largest Shakespeare collection. Aliyah I wish she showed us more of him. That ones actually from Much Ado About Nothing. School was fraught with contradictions and challenges for me despite my academic abilities. And performance, you know, go I think for me, culture is has I unapologetically see culture as a tool for liberation, for people to come together, to better human society. This culture needs more like him My level of appreciation for Shakespearean plays went up a few notches after listening to the play on a rap beat. A few years ago, I saw "a comedy of errors" set in a mafia controlled town in Italy. AKALA: I think theres a lot of different things and it depends where you are. I am so glad that my 15yr old daughter showed me this video. BARBARA: Okay, that I didnt know. Yeah? We had help from Joe Philip at Covered PR, from Mariama Abudulai, and from Ryan Pate at the Dub Room Studio in Los Angeles. Think about some of Shakespeare's most famous plays, such as Romeo and Juliet. This man is awesome. Esp Rebelution and Sick Jacken etc. So, when you understand this context, when you understand the type of instrumentation in West Africa, it becomes much more easy to explain how these musical cultures were created in the Americas. Shakespeare was he wasnt the kind of guy who would know Shakespeare if , AKALA: In modern perception. Learn more about William Shakespeare here: He claims that they share rhythm. Alaka believed in the idea of uniting people under music and poetry, and Shakespeare has been appealing to all different types of people. Skim and scan the text of the excerpt from Scene 1 and diffuse some of Shakespeare's unfamiliar language using the following translation table. A lot of young boys dont know how to express their emotions and that leads to conflict because they end up articulating them with their fists or worse.. And before it became fully mainstream, you know, groups like the Wu-Tang and others, you know, made it mainstream but to a really credible audience. Observe digital content for Oxford Brookes alumni, supporters and friends, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), University news The magazine for Oxford Brookes alumni, supporters and friends, Wellness and mental health Black perspectives, Overcoming tragedy and finding an enlightened path, From Brookes to the Arctic Circle an artists journey, Oxford Brookes research: responding to Covid-19 and shaping the future, The importance of diversity and inclusion in marketing, The future of motor racing is here at Brookes, Local alumni chapters what they do and how you can join in. Since 2009, under the auspices of his "Hip-hop Shakespeare Company," Akala has . Ninety nine percent of England doesnt actually talk that way. The question is, why are some people then turned off it and others not? The point is youre supposed to get them wrong, which well discuss in a minute. But also to show that theres still a rhythm in it. flexi classic leash tape; dynacraft golf clubs australia. okay all boring "whos here because of their English teacher" comments aside, he was actually spittin', Legend, even english teachers and my mum love this guy , @Keijah Lee peep fans are my favourite people. Both my dad and my step-dad run sound systems and hip-hop. Turns out you can't syncopate every word lol. Ancient. Maybe If I had his positive influence I would have made better and wiser choices whilst at school. Wrens can't make prey where eagles don't perch. It is not an "ah ha" moment but a "Ta dah" movement because it resonates. Something like this helps hiphop, at its best, be understood. Hip -hop or Shakespeare? is a challenge that Akala puts to lecture audiences including eminent Shakespeare scholars. What kind of name means "messenger"? Wed really appreciate your help. Some people can't even get past the language, sucks for them. This covers roughly first 10 minutes of this, so I help this can help somebody out there with homework. . So, in a lot of so our last production as a company was of Richard II which was, we did essentially a concept, rock opera, if you like, think, you know. Holler. The enlightenment of knowledge is a moving force. AKALA: Well, he wasnt from the bottom of the society. Have some answers, fellow students!Shapesphere abd Hiphop shares: Rythem, 5 sets, 2 beats.Rythem or music imitates the "heartbeat of life".With Hip Hop, "the way you are saying it" is just as important as what you are saying.A misconception of Shakespeare is that he spoke posh and was for the rich. A lot of black kids go to university on sports scholarships and they have to get the grades otherwise they dont get to play. QUICK TIP: Open the transcript for this video and skim through it to help you find answers faster. But many of these stories are not original stories. That is one of the things that has made me so passionate about education and made me want to dedicate part of my adult life to working with young people, in the way that people gave their time to work with me.. Today, everyones like Charlie Parker, of course hes a genius. This was an excellent use of my time! Thanks. Shakespeare is a literary heavyweight, and just bringing up his name strikes a chord with readers and writers (you can see eyes growing wide with affection at the very utterance of his name). That was great! Then he talks about rhythm and the 'iambic pentameter'. Your ears literally dont have the vocabulary to understand it. You have just written some Shakespearean hip hop!!!. Both can be representing entertainment and both can be representing life as it is. -Rhythm 2.) But I do think its interesting that a lot of people who dont know hip-hop have this negative opinion of it without even knowing it. AKALA: Right, completely different atmosphere, completely different style of beat. MCs! "I was not born under a rhyming planet" Hip Hop Shakespeare 5. 6 why might akala say that we should teach shakespeare . Its not there to beat you over the head with. So Hip-hop Shakespeare is true to his way of writing. But if you do like them, thats absolutely fine, too, and you dont have to ask anyones permission. You know, hes not do you know what I mean? The audience, such misers! [CLIP from the Sugarhill Gangs Rappers Delight], So after school, I take a dip in the pool, which is really on the wall.I got a color TV so I can seethe Knicksplay basketball.Hear me talking bout checkbooks, credit cards, more money, than a sucker could ever spend. Great discussion, as usual.. After this he does Sonnet 18 (that one that goes 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day) from shakespeare with a music background and he shows how it sounds like hip hop. AKALA: Sometimes. BARBARA: This is The Hip-hop Shakespeare Company, your company? And to their power of imagination characters in stories Ive read are like my friends, to me they live and if they die I grieve for them. If he had been some classical actor and did a sonnet, they would have been on their feet. AKALA: Okay. BARBARA: What do you want the takeaway to be for your audience? I can't believe they didn't clap after he did 12 Jewels. AKALA: Yes, it was, because my step-dad was the stage manager of, you know, to be crude, Londons equivalent to the Apollo. Big up Akala. pure knowledge and fire! Nothing but intellect and pure truth in the booth . I need this video, so i can show this to other people who say hip hop is shit. The Folger is dedicated to advancing knowledge and the arts.

Chuck Vogelpohl Squat, Plantations In Pittsylvania County, Va, Articles OTHER